Monday, January 16, 2006

Tech Support and the NFL, who knew?

Crazy, crazy ass weekend. For what should have been a quick job installing Windows on several donated computers, turned into a 12 hour event involving garlic chicken wings, the OC - A, the NFL, and my sisters old friend Grace. What a day, first I waited like 36 minutes for my contact person to finally arrive, I'll call her Debbie. (yeah, you know who you are) Anywho, that gave me time to chomp down my order of two quarter pounders w/cheese, fries and a drink and opportunity to smoke two of the 24 cigarettes that I would eventually have during the course of the day.

I get started on my PC tech thingy and there's an announcement for a food run to the local wing place, a Chinese place of course, seeing as we were in the middle of Chinatown and that my job for the day was at the Chinese Community Center (CCC). I can't remember the place's name at all; although, now that I think of it, I still owe my friend money for my 10 piece wing order. Great food, I was happily surprised at the taste of the Asian style wings. Lots of garlic with a hint of spicy, just the way I like it. Too bad I only had three pieces while they were hot, I didn't get to eat the rest until after 1:00 am.

My job was simple, install Windows, Office 2003, Norton Antivirus on several machines. The snag is that I brought Norton Ghost 9.0 with me, huge mistake as it cost me several hours to figure out why it wouldn't clone any of the drives along with bootable system information. Anyway, I managed to find an article on one of these tech message boards with people complaining about the same problem. Most of the solutions pointed to using an older version of Ghost which unfortunately I didn't have. Eventually I had a system going. The computers are great, dual Xeon processors with a full two gigs of rambus memory along with three hard drives each with a whopping 320 gigs worth of unallocated space. Problem with the drives, they all had several partitions on each which had to be deleted, repartitioned, and formatted with the NTFS file system. No small chore as each drive had to be done independently. I still need to go back and finish the last two computers this week.

While all this is going on, the NFL playoffs were in full bloom. The first game with Seattle and Washington was exceptionally good, as it was a fight to the end. The Redskins never gave up and the Seashawks played on even after losing their star running back to a concussion early in the first quarter. It was tough for me, being a Cowboys fan, both of these teams beat my boys during the regular season so I wanted both of them to lose. Unlikely scenario, but I can still see Seattle lose next week to the Carolina panthers; although, I don't like them either. I didn't care too much for the late game as my favored New England Patriots lost to the convincingly dominant Denver Broncos. Tom Brady not having his best day, nor was the rest of team for that matter. So, not much to look forward to in football, I hope the Steelers take it all the way, they looked incredible yesterday against the much adored Indianapolis Colts. Poor Peyton, those post game interviews just had to suck for him. Too little, too late I say as the Steelers blitzes and more blitzes took the Colts out early. I watched a little bit of the Chicago, Carolina game, don't care too much for these teams either; although, I was secretly hoping for Chicago to win as those poor guys haven't had much to cheer about since the 80's.

And still while all that was going on my friend Debbie and her crew were preparing for their annual Asian Las Vega$ night. I popped in every once in while to see what was going on, they had a really good turn out. During one of my walks I ran into one of my sister's old friends Grace. Finding out earlier that she was friends with both Debbie and my friend John, I couldn't wait to talk about that. We chatted for a while; but she had to get back to work as she was one of the blackjack dealers for the event. It was good to see her again, she reminded me of her father's birthday bash in couple of weeks so I'll see her soon enough.

Oh crap, I haven't even written about my ordeal at the Dentist office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home